An ant infestation is the most commonly reported pest problem. Ants enter your home or business in search of food and water. If you have an ant problem, it is important for you to identify what type of ant that you have and then to use an appropriate method to eliminate the issue. The experts at Signature Pest Control can help to identify the ant species that is wreaking havoc on your property. Just because you keep a clean house doesn’t mean that these pests still won’t come in. Most infestations inside are the result of workers searching for food. These pests are persistent and will find an entry point, find out how they are entering and eliminate their entry point.
These are the types of ant infestations you will most likely encounter: Acrobat ant, Argentine ant, Carpenter ant, Crazy ant, Field ant, Red Imported Fire ant, Harvester ant, Little Black ant, Odorous House ant, Pharaoh ant, and the Thief ant.
Size & Color
Ants can range from as small as 1/16” to as large as1/2” in length, depending on the species. Ant colors can vary from golden yellow, light brown, dark brown, red, and black.
Controlling Methods & Tips
Ants can be very difficult to control, so most homeowners must employ the services of a professional pest control company if the proper methods and inspection to find the colonies aren’t taken. Here are some general tips and guidelines to prevent and mitigate your ant problem.
- To eliminating piles of lumber, bricks or other debris that could serve as a nesting site for ants.
- Keeping landscape mulch less than 2 inches thick and at least 12 inches away from foundations.
- Ensure the sprinkler system does not directly hit the foundation.
- Sealing as many cracks in the building’s exterior as possible.
- Keeping tree and shrub branches trimmed to prevent them from touching the building.
- Treat the mounds if the ants are in their nest during the hot part of the day.
- There are baits containing insect growth regulator (IGR) that are effective within a few days.
- Injection of an appropriate pesticide dust into mound entrances.
- Using products registered for this pest. When using any pesticide, be sure it is registered for the targeted pest and/or location, Read the entire label thoroughly, following all label directions, restrictions and precautions remember- not following the label can be dangerous and against the law.
For more information on ant control services contact us.